Bedroom Furniture For Kids – Choosing the right bedroom furniture for your child is important. It’s a great way to help them feel comfortable and confident in their space while also creating a relaxing environment for sleep and play.
With so many furniture options to choose from, how do you know what’s best? Our team at Huizen’s has some tips to share on picking the right pieces for your kid’s bedrooms.
Choosing Bedroom Furniture Based on Your Child’s Age
The most important thing to consider when picking furniture for your child’s room is their age. As they grow older and enter new stages of development, their needs and wants will change. This means that you’ll need to replace or upgrade some of the items in their bedroom over time. Here are some tips on how to choose furniture based on your child’s age:
- Nursery furniture: If your child is a newborn, they’ll most likely be sleeping in your room until 6-12 months. Furniture for your newborn will typically include a crib or bassinet (or a co-sleeper safely attached to the bed). You will also want to consider a comfortable swivel chair or rocking chair for late-night holding and feeding. (We offer chairs and ottomans as well as recliners).
- Toddler furniture: A crib can be converted into a daybed once your baby has outgrown it (typically around three years old). At this point in their development, it is a great idea to transition into toddler beds that include guardrails for safety purposes.
- Preschool/Gradeschool furniture: When kids get older and start school, they’ll need more space for their homework and playtime with friends and siblings. As such, larger desks are recommended for preschoolers who are learning how to write their names for the first time and bookshelves, as they will likely be excited about learning to read and want more books within their reach. You’ll also want to think about dressers and other storage pieces to keep clothes, toys, and activities neatly tucked away.
- Teen furniture: It absolutely goes without saying that teenagers will require very different furniture than younger children. They will also want to be more involved in the decision-making process of what furniture to buy. It’s a great idea to let them have opinions about what they like and allow them to partake in the process because they are less likely to outgrow things at this age. It also helps them feel empowered in making “adult” decisions and will ultimately make them feel more appreciative of their possessions and living space.
Finding Bedroom Furniture that Matches Your Home
We get it! Finding furniture for your kid’s bedroom that makes them happy but still matches the rest of the home can be challenging. Here are a few ideas we put together to help you find a balance between happy kids and a pleasing home aesthetic:
- Choose a neutral color scheme. If you’re looking for something that matches everything else in your home, consider using neutral colors like gray, brown, and black. These colors will match with just about any other color. If you want to use bright colors, stick with one bold color that matches an accent wall or piece of artwork in your child’s room. PRO TIP: You can always let your kids help with the decision-making of bedding sets, fun pillows, and accessories that let their personalities shine through!
- Choose simple styles and finishes. Simple styles and finishes are easier to match than ornate ones because they have fewer details that might clash with other pieces of furniture or decorating styles in your house. For example, if you have a more traditional style home where most things are made from wood or metal finishes, choose a kids’ bedroom set with solid wood finishes rather than painted finishes so they’ll blend better with what’s already there.
- Choose a bed that will last through your child’s growth spurt and beyond—when children are babies or toddlers; they need something specifically designed for their size. However, a big mistake many parents make is buying a twin-size mattress for their child’s first “big kid bed,” only to find themselves having to replace it with an adult-sized mattress when they hit adolescence! For this reason, it’s a great idea to consider choosing furniture with longevity in mind.
Bedroom Furniture For Kids – Conclusion
We hope this guide has helped you find the perfect bedroom furniture for your children. Remember to consider their preferences and needs because it’s important to choose furniture that keeps them safe and creates a happy environment for them to enjoy. If you follow these tips and consider all of the factors we discussed here, we guarantee you’ll find something that the whole family loves! If you have any questions, feel free to ask us! We’d love to help you browse through our furniture selection. We also have interior design services to help you start out on the right foot. Take a moment and follow us on FACEBOOK.